All pets that enter Australia are subject to a strict set of rules.
Here is a brief outline of the requirements to move to Perth:
- Must fly into Melbourne initially and then transported to Perth or picked up in Melbourne. Melbourne has the only quarantine facility, which is required by Australia.
- Rabies vaccination
- Blood test for rabies antibodies
- General Vaccinations
- Additional blood tests for dogs
- Import Permit and quarantine reservation
- Ten days quarantine from the US
One hundred and eighty (180) days must elapse from the date that the blood is sampled for the test (with a “passing” result) before your pet can enter quarantine in Australia.
Once the blood sample for the RNAT test is collected in an approved country, there is no requirement for the animal to remain 60 days or 90 days in the approved country and this period is not added to the period of PEQ. Once the animal has returned an acceptable RNAT test result of greater than or equal to 0.5 IU/ml, the animal can, prior to export from the approved country, travel to any country, however, all testing, treatments, and examinations required by the import permit conditions can only be completed in an approved country. Post-entry quarantine in Australia for dogs and cats is 10 days (minimum).
Learn more about the specifics of moving your dog or cat to Australia by visiting the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources website, which discusses the topic.